Monday, March 28, 2005

Back for the Second Time!

It is the day after Easter, and I am back online .... again. Seems I had no longer finished reformatting and reinstalling all software onto my system, when it nicely crashed again. This time a different Trojan attack, but one that disables each start up process with each restart, with the eventually lock out from all software and processes that need to run. What a mess. The second could be traced to the Win32trojaner which enters on a temp file from a music or AIM download, spreading into multiple channels with each restart. So word to the wise, keep your teens off your computer.

I have been reading everyone's entries and comments from their blogs. Reading back to the start of the class, it is evident how naive we all were regarding virtual communications and avenues to communicate. I think we have developed a better sense of how technology is used to communicate between people(s) for personal and business related matters. And moreso, the issues that surround the need for security for protecting our privacy. This whole 2 week problem I have dealt with dealing with computer issues, trojans, and/or software issues has made me more cautious than ever about who you let use your computer, what you download, and where you visit. It certainly has eaten away at my time off from work.

What I have realized is that I suffered from a false sense of security thinking that my system was safe. I will vow to use every precaution regarding security measures, especially downloads. That is, I will not download anything that doesn't provide an execution file (.exe) to open and run the install. I have learned it is more secure to save the .exe file to the desktop, right click and run the antivirus scan on the file first. Second, that a full system scan should be done at least once a week to remove any source of hidden virus files.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home