Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Current status!

"What have you discovered so far, as you interact with others online, about conventions of online communication (you'll need to be specific about context). How does it differ from face-to-face communication? How do contextual factors shape it? How does it differ (or does it?) in different communities? And how do communication conventions seem to develop and be taught to new members?"

Up to now, I have tried to focus blog posts around the DMS assignments, with a few personal thoughts thrown in. Knowing that other class members may be reading, keeps me a bit more guarded in what I offer. This might possibly be from knowing folks personally and possibly being judged too strongly about my opinions. At times I just do not have a clue what to write about.

The online communities I belong to have been going very strong with daily communications with the SED assessment project. We will be traveling to Albany again next week for open discussions, training, and decision-making. This always brings about alot of discussion, which seems to be a positive aspect of the face-to-face meetings. Everyone offers questions and concerns ahead of time. There is a time element that allows us to get our thoughts together bringing more focus while together. Everything seems to get laid out on the table up front so that the work goes more quickly. I would have to say this is a very positive aspect of maintaining the online community aspect for this group.


My other two communities have been busy with posts, but all very tedious, or specific to technology questions or upcoming national workshops. Since I am not able to attend the workshops in Florida or colorado, I seem to have little interest in all the plans and excitement. There is a definite difference and this changes with each community based on my personal interests or benefits I might gain from the discussions. Is this normal to think about it this way? I can't say for others, though it seems to be the way I have interacted within these groups over the past few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home