Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Online Communities

For some reason, my previous entry on this topic never appeared. Obviously, I did somthing wrong when I attempted to publish. Anyways, I have been a part of several communities. As a teacher of the Visually Impaired working on aspeical assignment, I had joined communities that dealt with projects/trainings that I am involved in. Two come tome through email, though I have the option of having access only through login onto the server website. One is an "Outreach" community of other professionals in the field of Blind and Visually Impaired from all over the U.S. Most participants work in the various state schools for the blind, some grad. programs, research, and organizations within this field. It has been both a sharing of information community, but also one in which pariticpants get to know each other online and through different conferences and programs across the country. I have had the pleasure of keeping in touch with several who were in my VI program in the late 1970's. The focus of this group is specifically designed for Outreach services in all 50 states who offer programs to Blind and VI students in regular ed programs. We share program ideas, but postings can be related to specific teaching techniques, speicalized materials, curriculums, and assessments. There are times that the postings become more personal, sharing information about a colleagues joys and sorrows, change of jobs, promotions, and retirements. Because there are both online and personal contacts it does feel like a community with social ties.

Most recently I joined a group dealing with a specific Assistive Technology software, Duxbury, that allows the user to input, scan, or copy text and translate into Braille code, then send to an embosser. This truely is limited to questions/answers, sharing of shortcuts, suggestions, upgrades, uses, etc. regarding this Braille embossing software. It is operated by the "offical" software tech. support. I found out about it after a phone call to the company to get help with an upgrade installation. The tech. guy was from Florida, and so helpful and engaging, that we ended up talking for 2 hours. He is himself blind from birth, and has been involved with different companies dealing with technology for the Blind and visually impaired. What a riot he was. After about an hour, we realized that we had friends in common who are also in the this field. Anyways, he asked me to join, which I did. I will say that the advantage has been that I get alot of information and help. The downside is that I get alot of email.

The third community that I belong to is more or less part of a listserve system set up by folks from the NYS Ed. Department dealing the NYS Alternate Assessment for students with Severe and Profound Disabilities. This assessment is the counterpart of the Regents for regular ed. students. I have been a state trainer since the Alt. Assessment's inception more than 4 years ago. This community is directly through email with no other options for communicating. The members are each part of the trainer system across the state. Approximately 4 times a year we come together in Albany to get the latest information for the different aspects of the annual process. So most of the approximately 100 members I am able to put a face to. Unlike the other two communities this one is designated as a working community only. We can post questions, suggestions or problems to the members or State Ed. staff who run the Assessment process. We are reminded not to post personal information. Some of the members, like myself, are also part of the Task Force and/or Scoring Site Coordinator community. I have been on all three listserves for most of this time.

In the past I also have been part of a kayakers online community whereby we posted comments to a weblink community. It was interesting, and I occasionaly go back to learn a few new things or places to travel to with my kayak and small army of friends. Another was a recommendation by a friend who had heard about it. I was going facing surgery, and she had heard about this group who offered support and information about what to face, dealing with our fears, recovery, etc. It has been several years since I had communicated with this group. But I found it to be emotionally supportive, encouraging, and informational.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home